ABOUT THE COURSE
9-hour course on the Pasture Health Principles, applied to your grass or mixed farm.
Following-on from the Soil Health & RegenAg for Farmers, this course will give you the skills and knowledge to:
• Implement the soil- and pasture health principles on your farm
• Design a basic farm layout that facilitates your management goals
• Create a grazing plan to maximise potential of forage resources, and minimise work
• Save time and facilitate adaptive pasture management
• Design farm layouts & permanent infrastructure, trees, fences, water etc.
• Learn the principles of whole farm planning
• Understand criteria for selecting appropriate equipment & infrastructure
• Minimise capital expenditure by selecting flexible infrastructure
Weekly for 3 sessions
Same day, same time, same meeting id each week.
Session 1: Presentations
– Pasture health principles
– Fencing & infrastructure
Session 2: Workshop/Presentations
– Farm & infrastructure layouts
Session 3: Workshop/Presentations
– Grazing planning practice
– Creating grazing plans
All sessions will be videoed and made available to you offline, for you to watch again or to view if you miss the live session.
Available for: PFLA & selected farm clusters (check with your coordinator)
• Principles of grazing management
• Grazing management systems: mob grazing & planned grazing
• Time-saving strategies for management of land & livestock
• Farm infrastructure design
• Monitoring, data gathering & Soilmentor
• Trials & feedback – exclusion cages, split-field treatments etc
• Grazing charts and plans
• Calculating live weight & group numbers
• Herd management schedule
• Forage budgeting
Whole Farm Planning
• Hedge management for function & biodiversity
• Water – infrastructure & layout
• Fencing – temporary/permanent
• Access – tracks, gates etc
• Manure management – composting, introduction
Who is this Training Suitable for?
• Those that have completed course Part 1 – Soil Health & RegenAg Intro
• Farm maps (Field Margin, Google Earth or hard copy)
• Up-to-date list of field name and sizes
• Livestock numbers, age-class or liveweights
• Grazing diary (optional)
• List of key dates: prescriptions, testing etc (as comprehensive as poss)
• Laptop/tablet – running Excel etc
Tools & Technology
• Field Margin app – https://www.fieldmargin.com/
Niels Corfield Biog
Niels Corfield has been working to deliver truly sustainable food and farming systems for more than 15 years. He is a researcher, adviser, educator, designer and tree nurseryman.
He has 12 years’ experience teaching adults and is formally trained in Holistic Management and Regenerative Agriculture Design.
On a mission to create regenerative landscapes and farms in the UK and Europe, Niels focuses on agroecological systems that are low maintenance yet productive.
His clients include:
Fosse Tillery Farm,
Devon Wildlife Trust,
High Weald AONB,
Cahment Sensitive Farming,
Soil Association Scotland.
Life-time access to all content, resources and videos.
When enrolled you will be given complementary access to a Soilmentor account for use on the course, for: recording soils observations and sharing data with the tutor, for feedback and analysis on session 2.
What you take away from the course
- Digital hand-outs
- PowerPoint Presentations
Who is this course for?
- Those that have completed Soil Health for Farmes course
- Graziers, sheperds, stockspeople
- Mixed farmers
Sign up and keep up-to-date
Newsletters and occasional mail-outs of upcoming events, based on your interests.