Regenerative Grazing - Part 1Restore your pasture and soil through above ground management.
Following-on from the Soil Health & RegenAg for Farmers, this course will give you the skills and knowledge to:
• Implement the soil- and pasture health principles on your farm
• Design a basic farm layout that facilitates your management goals
• Create a grazing plan to maximise potential of forage resources, and minimise work
- Save time and facilitate adaptive pasture management
- Fast-track regeneration on your grazing operation
- Design farm layouts & permanent infrastructure, trees, fences, water etc.
- Understand criteria for selecting appropriate breeds
- Minimise capital expenditure by selecting flexible infrastructure
Available for: PFLA & selected farm clusters (check with your coordinator)
- Principles of grazing management
- Grazing management systems: mob grazing & planned grazing
- Time-saving strategies for management of land & livestock
- Animal performance & breed selection
- Monitoring, data gathering & Soilmentor
- Trials & feedback – exclusion cages, split-field treatments etc
- Grazing charts and plans
- Calculating live weight & group numbers
- Herd management schedule
- Forage budgeting
Whole Farm Planning
- Hedge management for function & biodiversity
- Water – infrastructure & layout
- Fencing – temporary/permanent
- Access – tracks, gates etc
- Manure management – composting, introduction
- Farm maps (Field Margin, Google Earth or hard copy)
- Up-to-date list of field name and sizes
- Livestock numbers, age-class or liveweights
- Grazing diary (optional)
- List of key dates: prescriptions, testing etc (as comprehensive as poss)
- Laptop/tablet – running Excel etc
Tools & Technology
Niels Corfield Bio
Niels Corfield has been working to deliver truly sustainable food and farming systems for more than 15 years. He is a researcher, adviser, educator, designer and tree nurseryman.
He has 12 years’ experience teaching adults and is formally trained in Holistic Management and Regenerative Agriculture Design.
On a mission to create regenerative landscapes and farms in the UK and Europe, Niels focuses on agroecological systems that are low maintenance yet productive.
His clients include:
- Southanan Estate,
- Fir Farm,
- Fosse Tillery Farm,
- Devon Wildlife Trust,
- Anglian Water,
- High Weald AONB,
- Cahment Sensitive Farming,
- Soil Association Scotland.
Life-time access to all content, resources and videos.
What you take away from the course
- Digital hand-outs
Who is this course for?
- – Graziers, sheperds, stockspeople
- – Mixed farmers
- – Alumni of Soil Health & RegenAg course
Sign up and keep up-to-date
Newsletters and occasional mail-outs of upcoming events, based on your interests.